"If you are 100% occupied, you are not charging enough rent."
- Conrad Hilton; Founder, Hilton Hotel Chain
Yes, that Hilton. There is a great, seldom heard story behind the origin of the Hilton Hotel chain and in a future series of posts, one of them will reveal the story behind the story. Trust me, you will regale your friends at parties for years with that upcoming little factoid. Hey, the paparazzi has nothing on me!
But I digress....
Conrad's quote reminded me of my high school wrestling coach who moonlighted as a math teacher. He would tell us with, uh, all the wisdom of a wrestling coach moonlighting as a math teacher: "50% of sumthin' is better than 100% of nothin'!".
So, in honor of Coach Protractor, here are some other random percentages to wrestle with...
- 25% of bottled water is actually filtered municipal water (aka tap water)
- 62% of Alaskan men exercise at least 30 minutes per day
- 25% of people on social networking sites are not who they say they are
- Men eat 35% fewer calories when eating with their mate than with their buddy
- Up to 30% of all emails are newsletters by subscription
- Approximately 75% of all doctor visits result from stress
- 33% of Americans feel they are under "extreme" stress
- Banks this week cut their Prime Rate to 6.5% following the Fed's interest rate cut
- Dunkin' Donuts Fruit & Yogurt smoothies have 400% more sugar than a chocolate frosted cake doughnut (Yikes!)
- Ethan's pooter of terror is in the top 99% of his age group
- The 2001 Seattle Mariners won 72% of their games
- In a recent study, 22% still think the federal government is primarily responsible for their disaster preparedness and 16% said that a region's vulnerability to disaster was not a factor in choosing to move there (Watch for them on CNN begging for help and blaming their government for not taking care of them. Duh.)
- 19% of men in a recent study were "1 death away from having no one to confide in"
- Of the worst memories people carry, 53% are directly related to a romantic relationship
- Mentally projecting about an upcoming visit or exchange with someone funny can raise endorphins 27%
- There is 99% chance I will be here tomorrow, dispensing levity, deep-ish thoughts and/or a few nuggets of information...